Visit us on Facebook!

Wednesday, March 23, 2011

The Bees (a poem)

I am the blogger who speaks for the bees
who seem to be vanishing, notice this, please.

Beautiful day, it is 80 degrees.
So from home I do roam to admire the trees.

Blossoming peach, apple, pear and more.
Circle the neighborhood, beauty galore,

trees cloaked in flowers, colors are glistening,
daffodils, hyacinths; something is missing?

Violets, quince, the humble dandelion;
but where is the humming? No bees are alighting,

I remember the Summers and Springs that have past
when trees were just humming, alive with a mass
of honeybees, bumblebees, small creatures with wings
who, we seem to forget, do important things,

which include pollinating the things that we eat.
And so when I walk, two miles, up the street
my heart fills with sadness; where did they go?
Down in my soul, I already know.

Chemical spraying for grass, perfect green.
People want produce looking pristine.
Purveyors of chemical, toxic solutions
persist despite all of our resolutions.

Go green! Earth first! On surface, maybe true,
but when it comes down to it, what do you do?
Are you buying organic? Not spraying your lawn?
Have you switched your dishsoap or still using Dawn?

I am the blogger, who speaks for the bees
and I offer this hopeful note to you, see
at the end of my walk was a huge weeping cherry
and there – there were bees! Though not very many.

Choose to act carefully; examine your ways;
be a blessing to bees in these coming days.


And maybe; just maybe; they won’t ALL go away.

Shanti,

Jill

2 comments:

  1. WONDERFUL! And thank you Jill "Lorax" Loftis. More seriously, I'll be taking a permaculture course in a few days and one of the issues they address is beekeeping. So, maybe I'll try to start a hive.

    ReplyDelete
  2. thanks Paul; my husband says no bees, and no chickens (*sigh*); do get a hive! It is such important work; let me know how the course goes!!!

    ReplyDelete

Uttara Yoga Studio, LLC. Blog design by Jessica Hedrick